As we say goodbye to 2019 and hello to 2020, it is useful to reflect so that you get the very best for the coming year and so that nothing is wasted from the year that has been. Here is a 3-point plan to help you make it a reality:
1. No regrets
- Build on success
What went well in the past year and what can you do more of? You want to make sure that all the good stuff is retained
- Learn from failures
If you have properly engaged in life during 2019, you will have made mistakes. Don’t let them be wasted: they will be rich with learning which can empower you throughout the coming year.
- Make amends
It’s good to start the year with a clean slate, if you have done wrong to someone else, make amends in the best way you know how. If someone has done you wrong, forgive and let go (this can be hard but incredibly liberating. If there is something serious that has happened you may need professional help to do this in the best way for you). Then you are free of emotional baggage and the road to success is easier.
- What you want to achieve in the coming year
This might be a specific goal such as health, weight, relationships, career. Or it may be less tangible such as to work on anger management, boundaries, stress management, time management, etc.
- How you would like things to be different
This is important because it becomes your target for the year. Make sure it is stated in the positive, otherwise you are focusing on what you don’t want.
3. Make it happen
Consider the following:
- What you will need to change in your environment to make it happen
- What you will need to change in your behaviuors and habits to make it happen
- What skills you will need to develop to make it happen
- What mindset traps do you need to address to make it happen. Paralympian Karen Darke says “Your mind is your greatest super-power”. That’s so true, but it can be your worst enemy too. Tackle any negative thinking (read Think Positive, Feel Good).
This is the fun bit. Imagine your best year in all it’s richest detail: What you see, what you hear and what you feel. Make it bold. Make it inspiring. If you do this well, your mind harnesses your energies towards your goals much more easily. Do this regularly, at least once a day. It’s like a dress-rehearsal for the future. If you want to do this using the power of self-hypnosis, read An Inside Job – it is even more powerful this way
- Keep a journal of progress. Try 21 Ways and 21 Days to the Life You Want which has heaps of advice, tools and inspirations to help you as well as capture your journal entries.
I want to help you make sure that 2020 is your best year yet. To this end, I am offering a Breakthrough session at my 2019 rates to make sure that you get the best start possible. (Available face to face, or via Skype, Zoom and phone). Call me on 0345 130 0854 to find out more. You’ll be glad you did.